Do you Know, Meena Kumari nearly drowned during the shooting of film ‘Baiju Bawra’?
There are more unknown facts about the tragedy queen that you might not know…
Today, on her 85th Birth Anniversary, Google has dedicated a Google-Doodle to the tragedy queen. Meena Kumari’s 33 years journey in Indian cinema reserved her as a “historically incomparable” actress of Hindi cinema. Starred in around 92 films, let’s revisit her journey by discussing some lesser known facts:
- Mehajabeen Bano was her original name.
- Apart from the ‘Tragedy Queen’, she was also known as the ‘Cinderella of Indian Cinema’.
- Meena Kumari’s mother was a Hindu. She was converted to Islam post her marriage.
- Meena Kumari was compelled to work in Hindi films because of challenging financial circumstances in the family.
- An ardent reader, the legendary actress was a poetess too. Many of her poems got published.
- The tragedy queen had an obsession to white color. Most of the time seen wearing a white sari, she literally loved to buy and collect white objects!
At the age of 38, on March 31st 1972, she passed away due to liver cirrhosis, ending her era behind. Indian cinema will always be studded with her glorious contribution.