It was unveiled by NASA that the ‘Artemis’ program which is scheduled for the year 2024 will return astronauts to the Moon for the first time in half a century, including a mini-station in lunar orbit and eight scheduled launches. It was confirmed by the administrator Jim Bridenstine that Artemis 1 will be an uncrewed mission around the Moon planned for 2020. The things to know about Artemis 2024 Moon mission are:
- The term ARTEMIS stands for ‘Acceleration, Reconnection, Turbulence, and Electrodynamics of the Moon’s Interaction with the Sun.’
- The twin sister of Apollo which is the Artemis signifies the goddess of the Moon in Greek mythology. It personifies the path to the Moon to return astronauts to the lunar surface by 2024, including the first woman and the next man. When they are going to land, the American astronauts will step foot where no human has ever been before which is the Moon’s the South Pole.
- NASA will be able to establish a sustainable human presence on the Moon by 2028 as a result of Artemis, which will uncover new scientific discoveries, demonstrate new technological advancements, and even will lay the foundation for private companies to build a lunar economy.
- In the 1960 and 70s, the Apollo program famously put the first men on the lunar surface.
- For the first time from a modernized Kennedy Space Center in Florida NASA will be targeting in 2020 for the launch of its powerful Space Launch System and Orion spacecraft (that will carry the astronauts) together.
- Artemis 1 which is the uncrewed flight test will demonstrate the capability to send crew spaceship to lunar orbit ahead of a return to the surface of the Moon.
Artemis 2 which will be the next mission will fly a different path and in 2022 it will take a crew around the Moon for the first time in fifty years. This will be followed by Artemis 3 that is about to put astronauts on lunar soil in 2024, including the first woman.