The Tokyo Olympics 2020 was postponed due to coronavirus pandemic. The International Olympic Committee has announced, “Tokyo Olympics rescheduled to the next year,” reports confirm. As per the committee, new dates for the games are in 2021. There will be no change in the name.
Tokyo Olympics rescheduled:
The announcement by IOC (International Olympic Committee) confirms the new schedule for Tokyo Olympics 2020. This Summer Olympics will be held from July 23, 2021 to August 8, 2021.
- Olympics: July 23, 2021, to August 8, 2021
- Paralympics: August 24, 2021, to September 5, 2021
Why a gap of one year?
- Ensure ‘Minimum disruption’ to the international sports calendar
- Sufficient time for qualification process
- Same heat mitigation measures will be implemented
The name will remain unchanged
The Games will retain their current name- Tokyo Olympics ‘2020’, reports confirm. This is to make sure that all official merchandise, torches, emblems, mascot, etc. can be used.