Parent teacher meetings have been in existence for quite some time but a proper parent-teacher facilitator forum, a platform where all the stake holders can meet can solve many a problem.
Parents can voice their concern and get clarification. There has to be a schedule so that the parent is able to retain the installations given by the teacher. One should understand that it is the collective effort of the parents and school that the child is moulded in the apt way. Just by having demands and expectations, without having the capacity – it’s like trying to travel on a road that does not exist. Either we have to find the alternate way or chose a different option.
The schools are not a place where a product is manufactured according to the needs of the customers. It’s a place where the children are to be moulded according to their basic character and nature, plus guiding them to learn and enhance themselves in their field of interest.
Rather the schools can guide the parents of their students, to give a necessary emotional support system rather than imposing more and more pressure on them.
Parents from the middle income group are more likely to be demanding of their children than those in higher income group. These parents were also more likely to be involved with their children’s schools and activities. The combined effects of parental demands and a positive attitude towards school could offset the effects of financial disadvantage. “Students from either segment family structure can overcome poverty through increased parental involvement with the adolescent’s academic achievement.”
However, the academics also found that too many parental demands could be detrimental to children’s success. As levels of parental demand increased, pupils’ school grades tended to decrease.
“Some adolescents do not work well under pressure.” This needs to be taken to the parents and explained effectively, so that they understand the same.
Tips for schools and teachers to satisfy both the parents and students:
- Start fresh everyday
- Don’t draw too much from the past experiences with the child
- Put yourself in the right frame of mind each day
- It’s ok at times if there is something missing – say unorganized or forgetful
- Reduce classroom stress
- Give equal importance to the intellectual and emotional quotient of the child
- Find the good and praise it
- Avoid embarrassment
- Exercise compassion
- Work with parents
This would help the child to be balanced, even if there is a pressure on him/her. This will lead to better performance of the student. When the child (student) comes happily to the school, the academics taught will be well understood by him. This will in turn show up in their performance where the parents will also turn to be happier.
Tips to handle the parents and their expectations:
- Have regular parent-teacher contact program
- Show personal interest where the parents need a special attention
- Make them understand the reality in a subtle manner
- Allow them to realize that the children are born through them and not for them.
- Have sessions and activities where the parents feel that each one is individual and each one is capable
of something different.