Schools have always been the epitome of academic and non- academic activities. The amalgamation of various activities have always demonstrated in inculcating values, confidence, leadership qualities, spirit to collaborate, creativity, critical and logical reasoning and problem solving skills. Schools are preparing learners to accomplish the qualities, required for the future job prospects through various co-curricular activities.
The physical activities and the merry-making on the school ground make children fountain of joy, but in this digital and virtually connected world we are getting disconnected to hands-on experiential learning as the learner is not able to learn through kinesthetic approach and tangible methods.
Despite the challenges being faced today, the concept of online classes is keeping students proactive amid lockdown as several avenues are opened to try their hands-on through innumerable activities. Thus, even without much physical activities and outdoor competitions– the process of developing leadership quality, communication skills, decision making is being taken up in the forefront.
Schools are concerned about bringing learning for life and not just for earning a living. They are concentrating on building mental, spiritual, and emotionally strong citizens of the country by boosting the non-academic activities too. Schools are exploring various arenas, keeping themselves updated, participating in various activities and creating a sense of camaraderie within students.
Schools are concerned about bringing learning for life and not just for earning a living.
The transformation from being in buzzing, energetic and lively environment to being confined to homes has taken a toll on mental well-being of children. To overcome the challenges various activities are being undertaken:
- School is a temple of learning where Morning Assembly, plays an important part in making the students feel fresh, energetic, and spiritual to start the day with positive vibes. The warm greetings in the morning bring smile on the faces of the students, help connecting with them and make them feel important; thus, creating a conducive environment. Morning assembly is a cheerful time when religious and national festivals, important days -whether it is Appreciation Day, Investiture Ceremony, Teachers’ Day or Children’s Day, all give flavour to the celebrations organised.
- Students are eager to go the school, involve in Physical activities, like running, swimming, play basketball, squash have always interested students, but this critical period has stolen their joys and enthusiasm. However, the environment is kept positive and schools try to pull them psychologically and physiologically up through Well- Being Sessions. They are being organised for imparting essentials of yoga and aerobics, and various exercises where the sports teachers take lead role in communicating with the students making them feel fit, healthy and energetic.
- The entire concept of education is being reset with Art Integration making learning interactive, fun and engaging. Creativity is not just about art and craft but trying to bring out talents of each child of the class thus making class interactive and full of fun where learning can be done easily.
- Students are experiencing variety in learning also through exposure to Work Experience Activities– Art, Vocal Music, synthesizer, sculpture, tabla and dance. Students are learning new pieces of art, practicing them, and creating their own videos. Students are enjoying these activities thoroughly. Activity teachers share their videos for the better understanding of taal, notes, designing etc. Thus fostering the artistic and creative skills of the students.
- Students are encouraged towards learning outside the virtual classroom by instilling various Hobbies, giving them diverse set of activities and helping them become confident, self- reliant and independent. School doors are locked but minds are open. Students are enthusiastically participating in cooking, dancing, coding, creating blogs, composing poems & songs, creating games, gardening to mention a few. In other words they are exploring and keeping themselves active.
- Students are taking up Reading intensively as daily e-newspapers are shared with them and post reading activities are conducted to add value. Short stories are being shared with the students to embed moral values, ethics and importance of culture and tradition of the country.
- Education is discovered through Virtual Trips , too, and they are helping students visit amazing places to develop remarkable experience without missing classes. These trips make critical topics dynamic and less boring by captivating their attention.
- Online Competitions have come as a panacea in challenging times— helping students keep their creativity intact by being engaged in productive activities. Students too are investing their time by participating in online competitions showcasing their creativity and talents through various digital tools. These activities help them to lighten the academic burden and the stress that contingency can cause. Thus, making students practice happiness skills, mindfulness, connection, positive outlook, generosity and gratitude to all.